
HGP Nightly News – The Commission of Inquiry into the deadly MV Barima disaster is expected to begin its work in Guyana in early September, President Irfaan Ali has announced, although no firm starting date or hearing schedule has been released.
Providing an update during a press conference on Tuesday, Ali said the commissioners had already begun organising the inquiry, establishing its procedures and finalising a work plan.
“The COI is expected to be on the ground early in September,” the President said.
The commission is expected to conduct hearings, gather documentary evidence, interview witnesses and examine the circumstances surrounding the July 18 capsizing and sinking of the state-owned ferry.
Its mandate includes investigating the vessel’s condition and maintenance history, seaworthiness, passenger and cargo management, crew conduct, regulatory oversight and the adequacy of the search, rescue and recovery response.
The inquiry is also expected to determine whether negligence, misconduct, dereliction of duty or institutional failures contributed to the disaster and recommend reforms to strengthen Guyana’s maritime-safety system.
Ali did not disclose where the hearings would be held, whether they would be open to the public or when survivors, bereaved relatives and state officials would begin giving evidence.
The government has maintained that the five-member international commission is independent and professionally qualified. Opposition parties and some civil-society organisations have questioned the absence of consultation over its composition and terms of reference.
The President also confirmed that the deadline for companies interested in salvaging the sunken MV Barima had closed.
Authorities reportedly received several submissions, which are now being evaluated and shortlisted. Selected firms will subsequently be invited to submit financial proposals for raising the vessel.
Ali did not disclose how many companies expressed interest, when the shortlist would be completed or how soon the recovery operation could begin.
Families of people who remain unaccounted for have repeatedly called for the vessel to be raised, hoping that additional remains could be recovered and potential evidence preserved.
The government initially indicated that the wreck might remain on the seabed because of the technical risks involved. It later invited expressions of interest for its salvage amid mounting public pressure.
Ali said the administration’s immediate priority remained providing long-term support to survivors and affected families through the HEART Initiative.
The programme is intended to coordinate social, psychological, medical and legal assistance for those affected by the tragedy.
With the commission preparing to begin its on-the-ground work and the salvage procurement process advancing, both exercises are entering critical stages. However, firm timelines for public hearings and the recovery of the vessel remain outstanding.



