
HGP Nightly News – Opposition Leader Azruddin Mohamed has fired back at President Irfaan Ali over questions surrounding the President’s farm, accusing him of attacking the messenger while failing to provide the documents needed to settle the controversy.
In a video statement on Wednesday, Mohamed challenged Ali to release evidence disproving allegations about the property’s size, financing and development.
“The message, not the messenger,” should be subjected to public scrutiny, Mohamed argued.
During Tuesday’s press conference, Ali rejected claims that the farm occupies approximately 150 acres, saying its actual size was not even half that amount.
The President said the operation was established years ago, its first loan was secured around 2012 and it subsequently expanded through reinvestment. He also maintained that his assets, loans and interests had been declared to the Integrity Commission.
“Every single thing that I own has been declared to the Integrity Commission,” Ali said.
Mohamed disputed the President’s account of the farm’s size, claiming his own assessment was based on international geospatial data and satellite imagery.
He did not, however, include the complete imagery, land survey or official property records in the statement described, leaving the competing acreage claims unresolved publicly.
The Opposition Leader questioned why Ali had not yet fulfilled an earlier promise to broadcast live from the property after returning to Guyana.
At Tuesday’s press conference, the President said the broadcast would take place “at the appropriate time” but did not give a date.
Mohamed argued that repeated references to confidential Integrity Commission declarations did not provide the public with enough information to independently examine the farm.
The President’s compliance with statutory declaration requirements and the separate demand for public disclosure are not identical issues. Integrity Commission declarations are governed by law and are not automatically open for unrestricted public inspection.
Mohamed nevertheless maintained that the controversy could be settled through the voluntary release of relevant loan, land and development records.
Ali has accused the Opposition Leader of spreading false information about the property and said the allegations were politically motivated. He has repeatedly insisted that he has nothing to conceal.
Mohamed also used his response to challenge the President on oil revenues, healthcare, electricity, potable water, constitutional consultations and the Gas-to-Energy Project.
He accused the administration of responding to problems only after public pressure instead of anticipating and addressing them earlier.
On the MV Barima tragedy, Mohamed questioned the pace of assistance being provided to survivors and bereaved families.
He renewed demands for Public Works Minister Juan Edghill and Minister Deodat Indar to resign or proceed on leave while the Commission of Inquiry examines the disaster.
The government has rejected calls to remove the ministers before the inquiry determines whether negligence, misconduct or failures occurred.
Mohamed also expressed doubts about the commission’s independence. Opposition parties have criticised the lack of consultation over its membership and terms of reference, while the government maintains that the international commissioners are independent and appropriately qualified.
The Opposition Leader further challenged Ali’s statements about public hospitals, electricity supply, access to potable water and the timetable for the Gas-to-Energy Project. He did not provide detailed supporting evidence for every disputed claim in the statement described.
Mohamed accused the President of trying to shift attention from governance issues by highlighting allegations and legal matters involving him personally.
Ali and government officials have argued that questions about Mohamed’s credibility and legal affairs are legitimate matters of public interest, particularly because he holds constitutional office.
Mohamed maintained that those issues should not be used to avoid questions about public contracts, oil revenues, healthcare, the President’s farm and the government’s response to the MV Barima disaster.
“The President can call me whatever he wants,” Mohamed said. “I will not be bullied into silence.”



