
HGP Nightly News – APNU Member of Parliament Nima Flue-Bess has accused the government of seeking to control the narrative surrounding the MV Barima tragedy while allowing senior political officials to remain insulated from accountability.
Speaking at APNU’s weekly press conference on Friday, Flue-Bess said the aftermath of the state-owned ferry’s sinking had been marked by what she described as “concealment, scapegoating and intimidation” instead of full transparency.
She argued that questions remain unanswered about the vessel’s inspection records, maintenance history, seaworthiness, loading arrangements, passenger manifest and the effectiveness of the state’s emergency response.
According to Flue-Bess, the government appeared focused from the outset on controlling the information reaching the public. She pointed to disputed early statements about the vessel, alleged restrictions on independent media access to survivors and the subsequent institution of murder charges against the captain, chief mate and goods superintendent.
The parliamentarian questioned whether those criminal proceedings could affect the Commission of Inquiry’s access to critical firsthand testimony. She noted that the accused men may be advised to exercise their constitutional right against self-incrimination because anything they disclose could affect their defence.
Flue-Bess stressed, however, that the existence of criminal proceedings does not by itself establish that the accused will be unable to participate in the inquiry. How their evidence is handled will depend on the legal and procedural safeguards adopted by the commission.
She also raised concerns about public confidence in the inquiry because President Irfaan Ali selected its members and established its terms of reference without consultation with the parliamentary opposition and other stakeholders.
Flue-Bess said the commission must nevertheless be allowed to follow the evidence wherever it leads and examine operational, administrative, regulatory and political responsibility.
She renewed calls for Public Works Minister Juan Edghill and Minister Deodat Indar to resign, arguing that accountability cannot be limited to workers while ministers and senior officials remain in office.
The government has rejected suggestions that it is shielding officials and has maintained that the five-member international commission is independent, professionally qualified and empowered to investigate negligence, misconduct, regulatory failures and other factors that may have contributed to the disaster.
Flue-Bess also called for the publication and preservation of all documents relating to the MV Barima, including its inspection, maintenance, loading and passenger records. She said the commission should receive unrestricted access to relevant evidence and witnesses.
The APNU parliamentarian further called for an end to what she described as retaliation against protesters, journalists and citizens seeking answers, though specific allegations would require examination individually.
She maintained that supporting survivors and grieving relatives should not prevent scrutiny of the decisions and failures that preceded and followed the tragedy.
“Accountability is not the enemy of compassion,” Flue-Bess said. “It is proof that the government values every life and every right.”



