
HGP Nightly News – The deadly Regent Street gas station bombing case took another major turn on Wednesday after the prime suspect told the court that he no longer wants to plead guilty.
Venezuelan national Daniel Alexander Ramirez Poedemo had previously told Acting Chief Magistrate Faith McGusty that he alone was responsible for the October 2025 bombing, which claimed the life of six-year-old Soraya Bourne.
However, when the matter was called on Wednesday, the court was informed that the Director of Public Prosecutions would be proceeding with terrorism charges against Ramirez Poedemo and three other Venezuelan nationals jointly charged in the matter.
The other accused are Alexander Bettencourt, Jhonny Boodram, and Kystal LaCruz.
Following that development, Ramirez Poedemo told the court that he was no longer admitting guilt.
As a result, the Acting Chief Magistrate announced that paper committal proceedings in the Regent Street bombing matter will begin on June 8 at 1:30 p.m. at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Court.
During those proceedings, the court will examine the statements, reports, and documentary evidence submitted in the case. The magistrate will then determine whether there is enough evidence for the accused to stand trial in the High Court.
The latest development comes after Ramirez Poedemo’s earlier statement in March, when he claimed sole responsibility for the attack. His decision to withdraw that position now changes the course of the case, with the prosecution moving ahead against all four Venezuelan nationals on terrorism-related charges.
The bombing has remained one of the most closely watched criminal matters in recent months because of the death of the child and the seriousness of the allegations before the court.
In April, at the Leonora Magistrate’s Court, two Guyanese men, Wayne Corriea and Ramesh Pramdeo, were cleared of involvement after Magistrate Alisha George ruled that there was insufficient evidence linking them to the bombing.
However, Venezuelan national Jennifer Rodrigues was committed to stand trial in the High Court after the court found that there was enough evidence for her to face trial.
With the prime suspect now withdrawing his guilty plea, the case is expected to proceed through the paper committal process, where the court will decide whether Ramirez Poedemo and the other accused should also be sent before a judge and jury.

